| A..E. Wilder-Smith studied natural sciences
at Oxford, England. He received his first doctorate in Physical Organic
Chemistry at Reading University, England, 1941. During World War II,
he joined the Research department of ICI in England. After the war,
he became Countess of Lisburne Memorial Fellow at the University of
London. Subsequently, Dr. Wilder-Smith was appointed Director of Research
for a Swiss pharmaceutical company. Later he was elected to teach
Chemotherapy and Pharmacology at the Medical School of the University
of Geneva for which position he received his "habitation"
(the senior examination required for professorial appointments to
European continental universities). At Geneva, he earned his second
doctorate, followed by a third doctorate from the ETH (a senior university
in Switzerland) in Zurich.
In 1957-1958 Wilder-Smith was Visiting Assistant Professor at the
Medical Centre of the University of Illinois, 1959-1961 Visting
Full Professor of Pharmacology of the University of Bergen Medical
School in Norway. After a further two years at the University of
Geneva, he was appointed Full Professor of Pharmacology at the University
of Illinois Medical Centre. Here he received in three succeeding
years - three ``Golden Apple Awards" for the best course of
lectures, together with four senior lecturer awards for the best
series of year lectures.
Dr. Wilder-Smith's last Golden Apple award was inscribed, ``He
made us not only better scientists, but also better men."